|A Delaware mom wants you to lock up your cough medicine.
Peggy McKibbin of Magnolia is a school nurse and now she is the newest mom to join the national Five Moms campaign to help prevent kids from getting high on cough syrup.
"Cough medicine abuse is actually happening, and their children may be exposed to it. Five Moms really just educates themselves about medicine abuse, it's about talking with their children, safeguarding the medications, and spreading the word to other parents," she said.
McKibbin, a registered nurse for 24 years, is now a nurse at Polytech High School. She says to lock medicines away, don't keep them in the medicine cabinet.
"You need to monitor the amounts that you have, you don't let them sit out, you don't let them be a temptation to kids," she said.
She's proud to be a Fifth Mom.
"I thought, what a wonderful platform for me and my community and my state and surrounding areas to really get the word out about this issue, this growing issue," she said.
McKibbin has a son going into 9th grade and a daughter going into 4th, and can't wait to get started.
"I know lots and lots of kids, and I am not shy to put myself out there," she said.
| Audio Options
- Brothers spreading joy of 'cornhole'
(Apr 25, 2013)
- Restoring William Penn's luster
(Apr 11, 2013)
- New documentary focuses on Delaware farming
(Apr 4, 2013)
- Fan convention coming to Delaware
(Mar 29, 2013)
- Kids helping kids with stress
(Mar 14, 2013)
- A Golden Toque for Chef Paul
(Mar 8, 2013)
- New creature comforts on Cape May-Lewes Ferry
(Feb 28, 2013)
- Fighting a Mystery Illness
(Feb 21, 2013)
- Africa trek 'life-changing' for University of Delaware sophomore
(Feb 7, 2013)
- Eat your way through Delaware!
(Jan 31, 2013)