Red Clay special education diagnostician Laura Thompson begins her second year as a Hope Street Group National Teacher Fellow.
|Laura Thompson, a Hope Street Group Fellow|
She's one of six educators who advocate for positive education policy changes, focusing specifically on teacher evaluation and Race to the Top implementation.
Laura Thompson: "It's not supposed to feel like a gotcha! Suddenly, you're such an ineffective teacher, we're getting rid of you. It's not a pruning process. It's supposed to be a way that we can help people, who need to be more effective in the classroom."
As a teacher in the untested subject area of special education, Thompson wanted to make sure voices like hers were heard. Case in point- -take one of her students...
Thompson: "He was reading at a kindergarten reading level in third grade. At the end of fifth grade, I had raised him to the end of fourth grade level, so there was a lot of growth. But he wasn't reading on a fifth grade level so the question is, am I an ineffective teacher?"
Of course she isn't, and Thompson wants other teachers to know that's not what teacher evaluations are all about.
Thompson is excited to take her fellowship into its second year so she can continue to help shape education policy nationwide.
Thompson: "Being part of this national voice is very exciting and exhilarating for me, and empowering. It helps me feel like I can really make a difference or I can really be heard, and have a part in the entire conversation."
| Audio Options
- Sanford freshman to compete in nat'l poetry competition
(Apr 23, 2013)
- Local HS students to serenade on stage at the Queen
(Apr 16, 2013)
- Fighting fire with fire
(Apr 9, 2013)
- St. E's ballerina overcomes partial blindness to dance in internat'l competition
(Apr 2, 2013)
- Roadkill creates "CSI" experience for students
(Mar 26, 2013)
- DSU wants to win "Retool Your School" contest
(Mar 19, 2013)
- EdWatch: UD senior's project promotes healthy mothers, healthy babies
(Mar 11, 2013)
- iPad takeover underway at St. Mark's
(Feb 26, 2013)
- Duffy's Hope restores hope for troubled Wilm. youth
(Feb 19, 2013)
- Teacher evaluations: What works and what doesn't
(Feb 5, 2013)