Video player now loading; please wait...
Cab Calloway Senior Mariah Graham is one of just 125 musicians in the country chosen to perform in the 2013 U.S. Army All-American Marching Band.
She's the only student from Delaware to receive the honor this year.
Mariah Graham: "It was pretty great, I didn't realize how big of an honor it was. I was blown away, so I was pretty excited."
Graham has played music since the fourth grade, but switched her instrument of choice four years ago.
Graham: "...To percussion and drumming and Marimba, and since then I just haven't stopped. I just keep going, keep going, keep going."
What she loves most about the drums?
Graham: "It's loud," she laughs. "I'm a loud person, so you get to make a lot of noise when you get to drum. It's just an energy release also."
The elite group of musicians will perform during half-time of the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio, Texas, and she can't wait!
Graham: "The fact that you get to be a different person while you're playing this music is incredible. That's probably my favorite part."
The game will be televised on NBC Saturday January 5, at 1pm.
| Audio Options
Deprecated: Function mysql_db_query() is deprecated in /www/wdel/web/eduwatch.php on line 180
Deprecated: mysql_db_query(): This function is deprecated; use mysql_query() instead in /www/wdel/web/eduwatch.php on line 180
- Sanford freshman to compete in nat'l poetry competition
(Apr 23, 2013)
- Local HS students to serenade on stage at the Queen
(Apr 16, 2013)
- Fighting fire with fire
(Apr 9, 2013)
- St. E's ballerina overcomes partial blindness to dance in internat'l competition
(Apr 2, 2013)
- Roadkill creates "CSI" experience for students
(Mar 26, 2013)
- DSU wants to win "Retool Your School" contest
(Mar 19, 2013)
- EdWatch: UD senior's project promotes healthy mothers, healthy babies
(Mar 11, 2013)
- iPad takeover underway at St. Mark's
(Feb 26, 2013)
- Duffy's Hope restores hope for troubled Wilm. youth
(Feb 19, 2013)
- Teacher evaluations: What works and what doesn't
(Feb 5, 2013)