$123M settlement approved in Bradley case
A New Castle County Superior Court judge has approved a $123 million settlement in a class-action lawsuit filed on behalf of young children who were sexually abused by former Delaware pediatrician Earl Bradley.
Judge Joseph Slights, III issued his ruling Monday after a hearing last week.
Phil Federico with Baltimore law firm Schochor Federico and Staton tells WDEL News victims will be paid according to specific criteria related to Bradley's crimes.
"The type of sexual assault that occurred, the number of times they were sexually assaulted, and the nature and extent of the injury that has resulted from the abuse," says Federico.
The settlement resolves claims against Beebe Medical Center, a southern Delaware hospital where Bradley had hospital privileges, the Medical Society of Delaware, and five physicians accused by the plaintiffs of not reporting suspicions about Bradley to authorities.
The 59-year-old Bradley is serving 14 life sentences for child rape after being convicted last year by a judge who viewed more than 13 hours of homemade videos showing sex crimes against more than 80 victims though Federico says the scope of the Bradley case is much wider.
"It is believed based on the disco very that was done during the case that between 600, and 1,100 children were actually victimized. At this juncture, 925 approximately have come forward to participate in this civil action," says Federico.
And it's not too late to get involved even though a settlement's been reached.
We were able to reach out to all the families and give them multiple.e opportunities to participate in the class action. They have now until December 14th to participate, but I think we'll see not very many more people join at this point," he says.
Copyright © Dec 18, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
Advanced permission from Delmarva Broadcasting Company required for publication or rebroadcast.