DelDOT again offers $2.5M for highway project land
Delaware transportation officials are again offering $2.5 million for nearly 10 acres along Route 1, a price critics say could be lower if state records were better kept.
Transportation Secretary Shailen Bhatt said Wednesday that his agency will go ahead with the deal for the highway interchange site. The parcel is now owned by a car dealership north of Milford.
Bhatt ordered an investigation and overhaul of record-keeping last year following Freedom of Information Act document requests by The News Journal.
John Flaherty, president of the Delaware Coalition for Open Government, told the newspaper that greater oversight of the department's finances is needed.
Copyright © Nov 27, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
Advanced permission from Delmarva Broadcasting Company required for publication or rebroadcast.