Stovetop cooking sparked Bear fire that left 20 homeless

We now have the cause of a fire that left more than a dozen people homeless in Bear.

The State Fire Marshal says the flames started in a third-floor apartment kitchen when cooking materials on the stovetop ignited at the Village of Canterbury apartment complex.

The fire broke out on Labor Day at 8:30 p.m. and quickly spread, causing one-million dollars in damage.

A 51-year-old man remains critical condition with severe burns at the Crozer Medical Center.






Copyright © Sep 16, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
Advanced permission from Delmarva Broadcasting Company required for publication or rebroadcast.