Fire destroys medical practice in Lewes

Fire destroys a family medicine practice Thursday near Lewes.

Crews from nearly a dozen Sussex County fire companies fought the wind-blown blaze that gutted the Mid-Atlantic Family Practice on Route 24.

One firefighter was injured; he was taken to Beebe Hospital for treatment.

Medical center personnel tell investigators a burning cigarette dropped into a disposal unit by the front door started the fire, which spread by wind to shrubs and then the building, despite staffers efforts to put it out with water and a fire extinguisher.

Damage is estimated at $1 million.






Copyright © Oct 24, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
Advanced permission from Delmarva Broadcasting Company required for publication or rebroadcast.