VIDEO: Elderly woman evaluated at hospital following fire

A house fire south of Elsmere that sent elderly woman to the hospital on Wednesday has been ruled accidental, state fire officials said.

It happened about 10 a.m. at a home on the 4200 block of Milmar Road, in the Middleboro Manor neighborhood.

The state fire marshal's office says personnel from the Five Points Fire Company arrived and found heavy smoke coming from the residence.

The blaze caused $50,000 in damage and has been blamed on an electrical malfunction in the family room, Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal Robert Fox said.

A 97-year-old woman was treated on scene by New Castle County paramedics and transported by ambulance to Christiana Hospital for evaluation. Fire officials say no other injuries were reported, Fox said.






Copyright © Dec 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
Advanced permission from Delmarva Broadcasting Company required for publication or rebroadcast.