Monday, June 25, 2012 - 3:49pm
Unattended cooking sparks Wilmington fire
Updated Monday, June 25, 2012 - 10:56pm
Unattended cooking sparks a blaze that's left 30 residents homeless in Wilmington.
The fire broke out at 12:45pm Monday at the Baynard Apartments on the 300 block of West 18th Street.
The cooking fire started on the 9th floor of the apartment building and set off two sprinklers--destroying additional apartments.
One person suffered chest pains and was transported to Wilmington Hospital.
Inspectors with the Wilmington Housing Authority and the Department of Licenses and Inspection continued to examine the building's electrical system Monday night, to determine whether anyone could return to their units.
For those who could not, temporary shelter was arranged with the Red Cross.
Copyright © May 25, 2013, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.