Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 2:15pm
Flood waters recede from Bethany, Fenwick Island
Updated Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - 3:51pm
Life is slowly returning to normal for residents of the southern beach towns of Fenwick Island and Bethany Beach.
|High tide in Ocean View Wednesday, three feet lower than Monday. (Photo Credit: Sean Greene)|
The two coastal communities were among the areas in Delaware hardest hit by superstorm Sandy, which left several streets in both towns under water.
But officials and residents said Wednesday that the water has quickly receded. Businesses reopened and residents and public works crews spent the day picking up debris left by the flood waters.
Fenwick Island town manager Merritt Burke IV says some residents will have to replace carpeting and drywall, but that there does not appear to be any major damage to homes.
Bethany Beach Mayor Tony McClenny says he and other residents are lucky that their town did not sustain more damage.
Governor Markell has also ended the State of Emergency in Sussex County, which puts an end to it for the entire state.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- WPD investigates Friday night shooting
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Wilmington man arrested on cocaine possession charges
- Troopers seek suspects who took teen's sneakers
- County Police seek naked jogger
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20