Sunday, November 4, 2012 - 10:12am
DNG lending a hand in New York City
The Delaware National Guard is sending 120 troops to New York City to assist with recovery efforts following Superstorm Sandy.
The Delaware soldiers will join more than 7,000 Army and Air National Guard troops from nine states.
Guard troops are assisting with communications, evacuations, security, search-and-rescue efforts, sheltering, debris removal and transportation.
Most of the Delaware troops are based with the 1049th Transportation Company in Seaford.
They returned in May from a yearlong deployment in Afghanistan.
The Delaware troops will depart on Sunday with about 40 light and medium-weight trucks and three Humvees, a wrecker and a diesel refuel vehicle.
The guard says they are scheduled to be in New York until Nov. 16.
In Delaware this week, about 500 National Guard troops helped with recovery operations across the state.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Local biz-watcher says proposed DuPont breakup could happen
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20