Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 8:45pm
Diesel spill in St. Georges
Updated Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 8:53pm
Oil spill cleanup continues after about 1,600 gallons of diesel is leaked from a DelDOT station in St. Georges.
Vehicles were gassing up at the location for storm preparation over the weekend, which is when the leak started.
DelDOT says their investigation took shape Tuesday, when it was determined the leak was caused by a broken pipe connecting the tank to the fuel pump.
Luckily, the diesel pooled in a retention pond, preventing contamination of a nearby stream.
DelDOT says environmental experts are confident most of the diesel can be recovered.
A cleanup crew was on the scene within 30 minutes to begin containing the spill. It will cost about $50,000 to mitigate the damage.
DelDOT is working with DNREC's Environmental Crimes Unit as the analysis continues.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- WPD investigates Friday night shooting
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Wilmington man arrested on cocaine possession charges
- Troopers seek suspects who took teen's sneakers
- County Police seek naked jogger
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20