Thursday, May 9, 2013 - 9:36am
Gas leak blamed for Felton house explosion, fire
Delaware fire investigators say they believe a gas leak caused an explosion and fire that leveled a Felton home.
The fire broke out Tuesday afternoon at the home along Peach Basket Road. It took firefighters nearly two hours to put out the blaze.
Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal Scott Bullock says enough gas accumulated inside that home that the explosion blew one resident off the steps he was on and blew out the first floor walls. The man was taken to a hospital, treated for smoke inhalation and released.
Investigators are ruling out any criminal activity.
Investigators say the residents are staying with relatives nearby. Damage to the home is estimated at more than $100,000.
Copyright © Mar 12, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.