Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - 1:38pm
Del. Supreme Court dismisses land condemnation
The state Supreme Court says Delaware transportation officials violated property acquisition laws in condemning a Middletown couple's land for the Route 301 highway project.
The court dismissed the condemnation action Monday, saying DelDOT relied on a flawed appraisal in paying $133,000 for 1.5 acres of a larger 10-acre plot owned by Jack and Mary Ann Lawson.
The justices agreed with the Lawsons that the state failed to acknowledge that taking the parcel and building a narrow replacement driveway for the couple over a stormwater retention pond would limit their ability to commercially develop their remaining land.
A DelDOT appraiser valued the Lawson's property at $550,000 before the planned acquisition.
DelDOT says it is reviewing the decision and will take appropriate steps to complete the purchase of the parcel in question.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Local biz-watcher says proposed DuPont breakup could happen
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20