Gov. Printz restoration contract approved

By Tom Lehman 10:10pm, July 23, 2013 - Updated 2:55pm, July 24, 2013
New Casle County Councilmen George Smiley and John Cartier discuss the contract with DelDOT for the restoration of Gov. Printz Boulevard.
New Castle County council approved a contract with DelDOT to restore Gov. Printz Boulevard during a Tuesday night session.

WDEL's Tom Lehman has more:

Click here to listen



Councilman George Smiley said the contract is worth more than $1.5 million and will facilitate efforts to restore the busy thoroughfare, which currently has lane closures because of a sewer interceptor project that was canceled in April.

"Part of the roadway, a major portion of it, will be paved to point where it will be a permanent fix," Smiley said. "

Click here to listen

, though they'll be repaved, will be a more temporary

Click here to listen

to allow for future work but to provide full access to the area."

Click here to listen



Councilman John Cartier said the approving the contract was an important step in restoring the roadway.

"

Click here to listen

has been interrupted for over three years, while we struggle with these engineering and construction difficulties," Cartier said, referencing the interceptor project, which was stalled because of its proximity to utility lines.

Click here to listen



Cartier said the timetable for restoring Gov. Printz Boulevard remains on track with expectations that it will paved this fall. County officials had previously said paving was expected in October and DelDOT will likely have a contractor restore the road.

"The sewer contractors are going to clear the site by the end of this month and then we're going to await the repaving schedule, which DelDOT has said will happen this fall," he said.

Click here to listen




Most Recent Stories