Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 12:54pm
Blaze at Gross Lighting Center in Wilmington
Updated Thursday, August 22, 2013 - 7:59pm
A two-alarm blaze damaged a building in downtown Wilmington Thursday afternoon, prompting multiple road closures and drawing more than 60 firefighters and EMS to the scene.
|A photo of the scene where a two-alarm blaze broke out in Wilmington Thursday afternoon/Courtesy of Andrew Sgroi, TrafficWatch.|
Crews were called to Gross Lighting Center at 201 W. 4th Street. around 11:40 a.m. The building had been condemned in 2012.
Firefighters initially began attacking the blaze from inside the building.
"Firefighters were hampered by an excessive amount of clutter within the building and the deteriorating fire conditions," said Richard Danner, a spokesman for the Wilmington Fire Department.
Danner said one firefighter released a "Mayday" call, but was able to escape the building on his own. A known occupant of the building also successfully fled the building.
A second alarm was called and the building was evacuated. Off-duty and reserve firemen responded to the scene along with crews from neighboring departments.
C.R. McLeod, Communications Director at the Rodel Foundation, watched as firefighters fought the blaze, which was reported to be under control around 2:06 p.m.
"It was cause for alarm there for a few moments," McLeod said. "There's been a significant number of emergency vehicles and fire personnel on the scene all afternoon."
Click here to listen
In 2012, Gross Lighting Center was condemned by the city's Department of Licenses and Inspections. The violations included improperly maintained electrical facilities, loose or damaged asbestos, weakened floor and unsafe structures and equipment.
City officials say children in the Salvation Army child care center were evacuated to Delaware Technical Community College and Kuumba Academy.
Fire officials say the city's Fire Marshal is investigating the incident.
Road closures around the scene are expected to continue into Thursday night.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- WPD investigates Friday night shooting
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Wilmington man arrested on cocaine possession charges
- Troopers seek suspects who took teen's sneakers
- County Police seek naked jogger
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20