Friday, April 25, 2014 - 8:37am
Fire destroys medical practice in Lewes
Updated Friday, April 25, 2014 - 8:41am
Fire destroys a family medicine practice Thursday near Lewes.
|Fire destroys the Mid-Atlantic Family Practice on Rte. 24. (Photo/Hayden Klingler/Delaware105.9)|
Crews from nearly a dozen Sussex County fire companies fought the wind-blown blaze that gutted the Mid-Atlantic Family Practice on Route 24.
One firefighter was injured; he was taken to Beebe Hospital for treatment.
Medical center personnel tell investigators a burning cigarette dropped into a disposal unit by the front door started the fire, which spread by wind to shrubs and then the building, despite staffers efforts to put it out with water and a fire extinguisher.
Damage is estimated at $1 million.
Copyright © Sep 16, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.