Friday, April 25, 2014 - 5:10pm
Reporter: Cure Violence not exactly a favorite among Chicago PD
We're learning more about the Cure Violence method that Mayor Williams hopes to bring to Wilmington.
Jeremy Gorner, a veteran police reporter for The Chicago Tribune tells WDEL that, at least in Chicago, the system has in some ways pitted police against so-called "violence interrupters."
"They basically have the ability to insert themselves in these gang conflicts and try to mediate conflicts. You know, they're able to get into territory that Chicago Police cannot, but Chicago Police, they don't really trust them because they have felony backgrounds," said Gorner.
Click here to listen
Gorner goes on to say the method isn't exactly a favorite among Chicago Police officers.
"Many police I've spoke with feel that because violent interrupters don't share information with them that only perpetuates this whole code of silence," said Gorner.
Click here to listen
It's unclear how the "Cure Violence" method could play out in Wilmington, but Mayor Williams is seeking $200,000 in funding in next year's budget for the anti-violence measure.
Copyright © Sep 20, 2014, WDEL/Delmarva Broadcasting Company. All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
| Latest News
- VIDEO: Newark blanks Glasgow 16-0
- VIDEO: DMA ends Tower Hill's winning streak at 12
- VIDEO: Dickinson holds on, defeats rival McKean
- VIDEO: Cropper's 2 TDs lift St. Elizabeth to comeback win over Delmar
- VIDEO: Caravel suffers loss to Archbishop Curley (Md.)
- Friday Night High School Scoreboard
- VIDEO: UD students protest school's harassment policy
- VIDEO: Environmental consulting firm goes green
- VIDEO: County land use GM talks Brandywine Hundred development
- Goodell: 'Same mistakes can never be repeated'
- Local biz-watcher says proposed DuPont breakup could happen
- Biden: Young men need to stand against violence
- Coons spends almost $400K for media, consulting
- Report: Denn campaign finance report causes confusion
- Woman acquitted of murder because of insanity
- Police in Delaware and Md. looking for strong-arm robber
- Lewes woman arrested on 4th DUI after crash
- Harrington Juvenile Arrested for Rape
- Man in critical condition after North Star crash
- Man jailed on heroin charges in Wilmington
- 3 vying for 2 seats in Dewey election Saturday
- CDC: Severe respiratory illness now in 22 states, but not Del.
- VIDEO: Hodgson 34, Caesar Rodney 6
- VIDEO: St. Mark's 28, Sussex Central 0
- VIDEO: Friends 24, Woodbridge 20
- VIDEO: Cape Henlopen 43, Indian River 7
- VIDEO: Sussex Tech 46, Milford 0
- VIDEO: Laurel 59, Smyrna 42
- VIDEO: Mount St. Joseph 35, Dover 20